Etsy is not only an excellent marketplace for selling unique items and vintage goods; it’s also a community of people that share a passion for beautiful items.
The platform is growing at a fast pace—it reached 4.3 million sellers in 2020, compared to 2.6 million sellers in 2019. That’s why it’s very disappointing that Etsy doesn’t integrate email marketing considering that this is one of the most affordable marketing techniques for small businesses. Stats show that email has an average return on investment of 42% for every dollar spent, so Etsy owners are definitely losing sales by not integrating email into their customer retention strategy.
Why Can’t I Pull Email Addresses From Etsy?
The platform doesn’t have a bulk customer email export option like most marketplaces, so you can’t easily download your customers’ emails. Etsy suggests that sellers should use a newsletter to collect emails, however, many shop owners find this technique ineffective because most customers ignore newsletters, and those who do subscribe are usually just a fraction of the seller’s customer base.
This is the reason why many sellers decide to promote their products on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook groups and avoid using email marketing altogether. This is understandable because they are forced to download each and every email manually which is tedious.
However, what most sellers don’t know is that you can also download your customers’ emails by using Google extensions. This way you can actually finish the whole thing in just a few clicks.
Although this is the method we vote for, for the sake of giving you comprehensive info, we’ll give you a complete guide on how you can pull out emails: manually and by using Google extensions.
Choose what you think works best for your business and send your first email today!
Most sellers know this technique and they actively avoid it. And, of course they do – it requires you to go to every order page and download each email one by one. However, manually picking emails can work for small sellers and is still better than not utilizing the power of email marketing at all.
That still doesn’t take away from the fact that it can be a nightmare for big sellers that are managing thousands of orders a month. If you’re just starting out your career on Etsy and you want to try out this technique, here’s how to do it:
- Visit your completed order page.
- Right-click anywhere on the website and inspect the HTML on the page.
- Copy the HTML copy of the page and paste the code into this email extractor software.
- You just got one customer email.
- Repeat these steps for all order pages from which you want to pull out emails.
Copy Pasting HTML Into Email Extractor
You can also download your customers’ email by using an email extractor. This is another time-consuming technique, however, it’s much better than the previous one because you can get up to 35 emails per order page.
- Visit your Etsy Shop Manager.
- Open the Orders & Shipping tab and select Completed.
- Right-click anywhere on the webpage.
- Next, click on the Inspect option.
- After that, an Inspect Elements window will appear on your screen. Next, press command+f and search for body.
- Now, you’ll need to open http://emailextractor.etsymarketer.com/ and paste the body tag in it. Press extract.
- The email extractor will generate a list of 35 emails per page.
- Copy and paste all emails into a document and delete the semicolon from all email addresses.
- You just collected 35 emails. To pull out another batch of 35 emails, repeat the steps above.
As we mentioned before, the fastest way to collect your customers’ emails is to use a Google extension. Marketsy is the most popular one as it allows you to collect all emails from all order pages in just a few clicks – piece of cake compared to the other method, right? It also collects your customers’ names and order details, and you can use this data on other platforms such as MailChimp and Shopify.
Here’s how you collect your customers’ emails by using Marketsy:
- Visit your Etsy Shop Manager.
- Find the order pages from where you want to download emails.
- Open Marketsy and click on the trashcan button to reload the page.
- Once the page is reloaded, click on refresh (circle arrow button). You’ll be able to see an email count update.
- Now visit the next shop order page and click again on refresh (circle arrow button).
- Click on the save button. A CSV file with all your customers’ emails, names, and order details will be downloaded to your computer.
- Redo the steps above for all shop orders pages on Etsy and collect all your customers’ emails in one place.